This may be a controversial statement, but I believe that it doesn't matter what the cost of fuel is; as long as you're spending less than the competition, you'll have an advantage that can help you succeed. When I started out as an owner-operator, my fuel buying strategy was pathetic. I would buy fuel at the first truck stop that I came to when I was approaching empty with my Visa credit card. After some coaching from Henry Albert, I became a lot better and started saving lots of money.
Saving money on fuel purchases is more of a strategy than it is just one thing. You have to predetermine fuel stops based on price and route as well as factor in the state tax. Another thing you must do, is acquire a fuel card that allows you to save money off of the pump price.
Team Run Smart has introduced its own fuel discount card. Here are the highlights:
- Fuel discount is at a major travel center
- Discounts of $.06 cents off the retail cash price at the pump
- Personal service from a dedicated team
- Easy enrollment
- No transaction fee on any purchases over 100 gallons, any purchases under 100 gallons a $1.00 transaction fee will apply (this is at discount locations only)
- Card accepted at over 5,000 US locations (discount only good with the participating chain)
- $25 annual fee for the program
- Weekly ACH payments from your account
- Daily emails summarizing fuel purchases
Bottom Line: If you're paying pump price for fuel, you need to find a way to save and increase your bottom line. On average, if you drive 120,000 miles a year, this card will save you $1100. What are you waiting for? Enroll here!