Recently while driving down a very busy interstate I saw two young dogs with their noses to ground in the center median. The sight made me sick as I could not figure out how they got there nor could I figure out how they would get back across the busy interstate, alive.
I continued on and in a very short distance I saw a tractor trailer pulled over with their emergency flashers on and a man quickly walking down the interstate. I assume to try and save the young dogs. Now is when I began to question his actions.
- The first problem is that he is pulled over to the side of the interstate with no emergency triangles placed. Perfect situation for a sitting duck.
- If he gets rear ended and someone is killed the driver of this parked truck will be held responsible and will have to live with this decision the rest of his life.
- Next, he has to cross the busy interstate to the center and pray the dogs do not either come to him or run from him as that will cause another flurry of dangerous maneuvers and him as a pedestrian could get run over. Now someone else will have to live with the fact they have killed someone.
- Once he gets to the center if the dogs run from him and into traffic what is going to happen? Will someone swerve to avoid hitting the dogs and possible wreck or cause a bigger wreck?
- Best case scenario is that he rescued the two dogs and got him back to his truck safely and found them good homes or kept them.
There are so many things that can go wrong. Becoming a “Sitting Duck” sitting beside the road can cause a serious or deadly accident that you could be charged with. I become physically ill when I see an animal in the center of a busy interstate as I know their chances of survival or slim to none, but I also know the possible consequences of me stopping.
Think before you stop and possibly cause a terrible accident. Call 911 as the police can use their lights to stop or slow traffic and in a safe manner try and rescue the animals.