The day I went to renew my CDL was a frustrating one. It began at about 04:00 in Russell, IL. Nothing wrong here. My morning ritual including my pre trip went fine. I drove up to my customer about 5 miles away and was backed into a door by 04:30 and went back in the sleeper. At 06:15 I noticed that they had not even locked me into the dock yet. I shuffled across the skating rink / parking lot to where I turned my bills in. They sent me to a different dock door a few hundred yards away and they told me that they did not get the bills until just now and would start me at 07:00.

It was 32 degrees and raining. After I got empty, I white knuckled the empty trailer 130 miles to pick up a loaded trailer to bring up from Neenah to Green Bay. There was a some confusion on where to deliver the load. The bills said one thing and my dispatch said another. The 2 locations are about 3 miles apart and it was a drop trailer. So – no big deal – I would go to the address on the bills. You know how that goes. Whichever guess that I made would be the wrong one.

That day I had a 12:55 appointment with an eye surgeon. My plan was to get to Green Bay at around 09:00 get a workout in then go to the surgeon and then the DMV. If all went perfectly I could even go to the DMV too and go directly home from the surgeon's. Little delays kept happening. By the time I got to Green Bay, I did not even have time to shower and change out of my dirty clothes.

The appointment with the surgeon as expected. The inclement weather made the DMV lines short. I suggested that anyone who made it in on a day like that must be a good driver and should just be given a new license. The first clerk suggested that I take it up with the governor. Then when I got to the final clerk's window she asked me if I had my birth certificate with me. What? I would need my birth certificate to renew my CDL. She sent me to downtown Green Bay.

The door was locked at the address that I was given. There was a sign to use the entrance at the other side of the building. I went to that entrance. The lady there told me to go back to the entrance that came from. I informed her that the door was locked and there was a sign on that door telling me to come there. Huh – maybe you need to go next door. I did. They told me that they couldn't help me and gave me a website to check out. I did. They all wanted boat loads of personal information. I cooled my jets until the next morning.

The next morning I contacted the Kane (IL) County Clerk's office. That is when that one person, Ayesha Tague, entered the picture. Ayesha guided me through the process. I did not have to drive a 500 mile round trip. I got my CDLA with and added my Haz Mat endorsement back in. One person can make a difference. Be like Ayesha.

Comments (4)

Jeff Clark

Jeff Clark of Kewaunee, WI has been driving a truck for 24 years. He has been an owner operator for 11 years.

Read These Next...


Caught In The Middle

April 21, 2013


Flexing My "Carrier Muscles"

October 14, 2017


Balancing Act

March 03, 2019

Comment ()

Agreed Joel - I was impressed that Ayesha took a genuine interest in solving MY problem. I had no desire to take an 8 hour round trip to Geneva, IL - let alone having to get my regular DL and then have to go back to obtain my CDL.

January 21, 2017 13:16:39 PM

Everyone should strive to be that person every day. Just by being professional and helpful.

January 21, 2017 7:22:31 AM

Thx Stephen. Ayesha was more than professional.

January 20, 2017 12:59:23 PM

You are absolutely correct Jeff! Connecting with the one person makes all the difference in the world!

January 19, 2017 17:25:42 PM